For the three people I haven’t told yet, IT’S HERE! I’m beside myself with glee to finally announce the release of a two-year-long effort, my first book!
Available NOW on Amazon.com (Softcover). I’m kind of loving the Amazon.com description:
“Erma Bombeck meets Michael J. Fox in Shake, Rattle & Roll With It: Living and Laughing with Parkinson’s. Vikki Claflin is a writer, humorist, and professional public speaker who, at age 50, was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.
After many dark days spent coming to terms with her diagnosis, Vikki’s natural comic optimism and irreverence began to resurface, and she started writing on her blog about the funny side of living with Parkinson’s.
Shake, Rattle & Roll With It is a collection of Vikki’s honest – and hilarious – essays about the ups and downs of life with a chronic disease. She shows us how to laugh at ourselves by first laughing at her. Vikki unabashedly shares with us her most embarrassing moments in her battle with Parkinson’s.
Chapter titles include:
“Hey Doc, Call Me When They Find a Cure, Okay?”
“Thank You for Searching Google.doc. Yep, You’re Gonna Die”
“Date Night. This Isn’t How I Remember It”
“I Gave Hubs a Pole Dance and He Can’t Stop Laughing. It’s Been Two Days”
“The 20 Best Things About Having Parkinson’s”
A true gift to anyone living with a chronic condition, or who just loves a good belly laugh, Shake, Rattle & Roll With It is pure joy, and should be on everyone’s MUST READ list.”
(Thank God for fabulous editors. They make everything perfect. They’re like the plastic surgeons of the writing world.)
And now the real fun begins. How to get those 10,000 books out of our garage and mailed off to their new homes!
You all know that I have an instinctive resistance to online begging. It’s an organic fear of rejection. That’s why I don’t enter voting contests or anything that requires a “Click here and Vote for me!” widget on my sidebar. But (and you knew this was coming), I’m mustering up my courage as I sit alone at my computer, clutching a doughnut and a Diet Coke, asking you to buy the book. For you, for someone you love who has Parkinson’s, for someone you love who’s living with someone who has Parkinson’s, or for your crazy neighbor who just loves to laugh at somebody else’s expense. They’ll love it, you’ll be a hero, and I’ll have one less book in my garage (1 down…9,999 to go. Hubs is so happy). Win, win, and win!
You can order it right off my blog from Amazon.com, or if you would like an autographed copy (available TODAY), with check or through PayPal. Just click the book cover on the right sidebar, and it will take you to either option!
The second thing (geez, I seem to be getting the hang of this begging thing) I would love, love, love from you, my readers, is a review on Amazon.com. Reviews can make or break a book. Amazon.com gives more exposure to books that have a lot of reviews. They don’t need to be long or “professional.” It’s super easy and quick. Just click amazon.com/dp/1497476895, which will take you to my Amazon.com order page, then click “Review this book.” Blurt out a few sentences about what you think of the book and click “Submit.” You’re done!
And because my mother taught me to always give back, I’m announcing a fabulously fun THANK YOU drawing. Starting today, and for the next two weeks (until midnight, November 17th) anyone who posts a review of Shake, Rattle & Roll With It on Amazon.com will be entered into a Thank You drawing. (Those of you who posted reviews over the last few days, during our “preview launch,” will be automatically entered). Five people will then be randomly selected to receive an autographed copy of my book (possibly worth big bucks someday…or not. But you never know), and one of those books will come as part of the Big Daddy Winner’s Writer’s Swag Bag.
What’s in a Writer’s Swag Bag, you ask?
1. A water bottle inscribed with “I’d rather be writing,” for those long, dehydrating sessions in front of your computer;
2. A coffee mug, with Ernest Hemingway’s famous quote “The first draft of anything is shit,” for you nocturnal or early-morning writers;
3. One lb. of Dunkin’ Doughnuts ground coffee, because the mug doesn’t work without anything in it;
4. A small notebook to carry with you, for those oh-so-witty one-liners that come to you at a stoplight, but that you forget by the time you get home, causing you to spend the rest of the day trying desperately (and unsuccessfully) to get them back, but they’re gone forever because you didn’t write them down;
5. A delicious, imported chocolate bar, because…well, chocolate;
6. A delightful watercolor birds bookmark, to put inside that book lying on your nightstand, that you’ve been trying to read for six months, because it’s so much classier than dog-earing the pages (and God knows, we are a very classy group);
7. A package of Relaxing Lavender Aromatherapy bath salts, for when you’re just done for the day;
8. An autographed copy of Shake, Rattle & Roll With It. Because it’s fabulous. And you’re fabulous. And I’m doing a happy dance in your honor.
Is this fun or what??
So please, pick up a copy of my book and consider leaving a brief review on Amazon.com. All the cool kids are doing it.
In advance, and from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!
Now Hubs has gone out to the garage, with the champagne. I’m on my way.