Yesterday I received a Sisterhood of World Bloggers Award from Kate Evans Hall, who has a fabulous and funny blog that makes me laugh out loud. Do yourself a favor and check her out at http://canigetanotherbottleofwhine.com. THANK YOU, KATE!
The Rules of Engagement for receiving this fun award are simple: Provide a few facts about yourself that people probably don’t know, and then pass the award along to someone else you think rocks the blogosphere. So here goes…
What you might not know about me:
1. Over the last 30 years, I have moved over 20 times. Yep. TWENTY TIMES. I am a veritable MASH unit. I can pack it up or put it back in less than 24 hours. I have gypsy in my genes. This is probably why I’m the anti-hoarder. I routinely ransack my house (cupboards, closets, and drawers…nothing is sacred) and ask “Would I take this with me?” If not, out it goes. Nine years in our current home, and our total belongings would fit in a tipi.
2. I lived in Maui for 5 years and never once got in the water. Never. While it’s true that nothing gets my feng shui’ing like lazy days on the beach, listening to the sounds of crashing surf, I don’t like to get IN the ocean. It’s not “refreshing” or “exhilarating.” It’s COLD. And I don’t want to “get used to it.” It’s COLD. And what’s UP with the shark watch towers?? If someone needs to watch for people-eating fish, I’m not swimming. By the time you hear “GET OUT OF THE WATER, NOW!!” some poor schmuck has given his left foot for a sharky pupu platter. Not gonna be me.
3. I learned to drive on a John Deere tractor. The first day, I ran over my dad’s prize-winning German Pointer, and forever after, whenever Schnapps spotted a bird, he would assume the perfect pointer position (nose forward, short tail straight up), but his paw would point exactly 40 degrees to the right. Every time. Bird rustle, nose forward, tail up, TWANG…paw out to the side. Poor Schnapps was humiliated in front of the other pointers, and always stood in the back at picture time. Neither of us ever went near a tractor again.
4. I wrote a book 15 years ago. 67,000 words. Took me 2 years. I submitted it at the Maui Writer’s Conference, and it was picked up by an agent in New York. We got it all the way to a publishing house, but I got frustrated with the edits, so I stuck it in a drawer until a few months ago, when I gave it to a dynamic local agent/publisher. I’m afraid to ask, so I’m just waiting, holding my breath like a 13-year-old turning over her Magic 8 Ball, repeatedly asking “Does Bobby like me?” God, I’m so pathetic…
5. I read The Stranger Beside Me in one sitting. I was home alone. All weekend. Worst decision EVER. Kenny came home 3 days later. I was bleary-eyed from sleeping with one eye open, and it took us 2 hours to put all the furniture back that I stacked up to barricade every entrance.
6. I met Ann Rule (see #5) at the Maui Writer’s Conference. She’s warm, funny, and more than willing to advise new writers. She told me she was a humor columnist before she interviewed Ted Bundy and began her wildly successful career as a true-crime drama writer. Genius re-niching.
There you have it. And with that, I pass the Sisterhood torch to Cyndi Calhoun. Check out her blog at http://pictimilitude.com. She’s hilarious, and an incredible photographer. Congratulations, Cyndi!